In my first week I have traveled down a stunning section of the Pacific coast from Astoria to Newport. It's definitely been a leisurely ease into things with some very low mileage days, partly due to an injury (that has thankfully improved over the week) and partly due to the fact it's so damn epic! I've certainly been taking every opportunity to stop, take pictures, explore, and also sample the local coffee shops (usually because it's hammering it down).
There's probably been two, maybe three ‘good’ days of weather out there, and the rest have been mostly wet and windy. This hasn't dampened my spirits though, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Fortunately, the coastal scenery still looks amazing in the wet and I'm always fond of some of that atmospheric greyness that has seemingly characterised this week. (I'm glad I brought my waterproof shorts!)
The weather has meant I haven't camped quite as much as I would have liked this week, but my introduction to warm showers has been nothing short of an amazing experience.
Initially, I wasn't sure what to expect, but every one of my hosts has been a real treat to stay with and have gone above and beyond in welcoming me into their homes. It's been a real highlight to speak to all of the hosts and hear their stories and their past adventures.
This week has definitely been a humbling and eye opening experience for how kind and generous people are/and can be. Especially to a soggy stranger on a bike.
If I can take one thing from this trip, it’s to do my utmost to be even half as helpful and generous to others as they have been to me.
So a big THANK YOU! To all of my gracious hosts and everyone else that's given me some help and advice along the road. It really has made my week!
- My Ride -
- My Favorite Blackburn Gear -
- My Favorite Blackburn Gear -
- FROM: Lancaster, GBR
- DOB: 2016-01-01
- OCCUPATION: Designer, Maker
- What was the genesis moment or inspiration for your upcoming adventure? When I saw the opportunity advertised, it just felt like the kind of experience I've been building up to. With the added bonus of getting to work with some great brands, and promote adventure cycling.
- Have you traveled by bike in the past? In the last year I've done a handful of short trips travelling by bicycle and really enjoyed the freedom you feel from carrying everything you need to survive. I've definitely got a bad case of 'outdoorism' - seeing the sun rise and set everyday, and waking up outside all becomes kind of addictive.
- What is your goal for the route? My goal is to have as much fun as possible, see and explore as much as i can, wake up to great views, hopefully make some friends along the way. Pretty much absorb as much of the American experience as possible. If I've got the energy I plan to make the most of the surrounding terrain and ride as many trails as possible along the way.
- What do you hope to get out of this journey? The most important thing is I hope to come away with memories for life, gain some new life skills, as I'm sure there'll definitely be a few 'character building' challenges along the way. I'd like to get some great footage and photography, and look forward to documenting my story. Hopefully inspiring more people to tackle these kinds of trips.